September 24, 2023 | Resources | Discussion | Adult by James B. Angus, Jr.
Lesson 8: Jesus Loves Himself
September 24, 2023
- What is the significance of the scribe's question about the greatest commandment? How does Jesus' response reflect the core teachings of Christianity?
- In Mark 12:28-34, Jesus combines the command to love God with the command to love one's neighbor. How are these two commandments interconnected, and why is it important to understand and practice both together?
- The scribe's response to Jesus' answer in verse 32-33 shows his understanding of the importance of love and the commandments. How can we ensure that our intellectual understanding of faith is translated into genuine love and action?
- Jesus commends the scribe for his insight, saying he is "not far from the kingdom of God" (verse 34). What does it mean to be close to the kingdom of God, and how can we strive to be in that position through our attitudes and actions?
- In this passage, Jesus emphasizes the primacy of love in the Christian life. How does this teaching differentiate Christianity from other religious and moral systems of the time, and how does it continue to differentiate it from various worldviews today?