September 17, 2023 | Resources | Discussion | Adult by James B. Angus, Jr.
Lesson 7: Jesus Loves Children
(Mark 9, Gen 22)
September 17, 2023
- Throughout Mark 9, Jesus alludes to his upcoming suffering and death. How does he prepare his disciples for these events? What do these discussions reveal about Jesus' mission and the nature of discipleship in the face of challenges?
- What is the significance of Jesus' transfiguration on the mountain in Mark 9:2-13? How does this event reveal aspects of Jesus' identity and mission?
- Mark 9:43-48 contains strong language about cutting off body parts to avoid sin. How should we interpret this passage in the context of Jesus' teachings on discipleship and holiness? What practical applications can we find for our lives today?
- Abraham's willingness to sacrifice his son raises questions about parental love and sacrifice. How might Abraham's actions be viewed from a parental perspective? What does this story reveal about the lengths parents might go to for their children, and how does it resonate with the idea of God's sacrificial love?
- The story raises ethical questions about the morality of Abraham's willingness to sacrifice his son. Do you believe Abraham's readiness to obey God's command was morally justifiable? How does this story intersect with modern discussions on ethical dilemmas and obedience to higher authorities?