July 16, 2023 | Resources | Discussion | Adult by James B. Angus, Jr.
THE LETTER OF JAMES PART 7
Two Kinds of Wisdom
July 16, 2023
Otter Creek Church
- James warns against the presence of envy and selfish ambition in our hearts, which can lead to disorder and evil practices (James 3:14-16). How do envy and selfish ambition manifest in our speech and relationships? How can we guard against these destructive attitudes and foster unity and peace instead?
- James contrasts earthly wisdom and heavenly wisdom (James 3:15-17). What are the characteristics of each, and how do they influence our interactions with others? In what ways can we pursue and cultivate heavenly wisdom in our lives?
- James uses vivid imagery to describe the power of righteousness sown in peace (James 3:18). How does this imagery deepen our understanding of the impact of our words and actions on others? What practical steps can we take to sow seeds of peace and righteousness in our relationships and communities?
- James discusses the correlation between our speech and our faith, asserting that true faith is accompanied by actions (James 2:18). How does this principle connect to James 3 and the power of our words? How can we ensure that our speech aligns with our faith and reflects the transformative work of Christ in our lives?
- James concludes his discussion on the tongue by reminding believers of their calling to be peacemakers (James 3:18). What does it mean to be a peacemaker in our speech and interactions with others? How can we promote unity, reconciliation, and understanding through our words?