June 25, 2023 | Resources | Discussion | Adult by James B. Angus, Jr.
The Letter of James pt. 4
Dr. Lee Camp
James 2:1-13 NRSV
June 25, 2023
Otter Creek Church
- In James 2:1-13, what does the author mean by showing "partiality" or "favoritism"? How is this related to our treatment of others?
- According to James, why is showing partiality or favoritism incompatible with the beliefs and teachings of Christianity? How does it contradict the character of God?
- What are some potential consequences or negative effects of favoritism within a community or society? How does it contribute to divisions, inequality, or injustice?
- James emphasizes the importance of mercy triumphing over judgment. How can we cultivate a spirit of mercy and compassion in our relationships and interactions with others?
- Are there any personal biases or prejudices that you have noticed within yourself that could potentially lead to favoritism? How can you actively work on overcoming those biases?
- How does the message of James 2:1-13 challenge societal norms or cultural practices that may promote discrimination or inequality? How can Christians be agents of change in addressing these issues?