Definition: gender & age specific groups that meet together twice a month (usually on 2nd and 4th Sunday nights) during the school year.
Purpose: Covenant Groups fuel our OCYG Mission in a couple of really key ways:
- Community: CG's help make our big group smaller (let's face it, big groups can be a LITTLE intimidating...and we've got a BIG youth group!) Because of this, Covenant groups provide a bi-monthly opportunity for teens to feel a sense of acceptance, belonging and love from their peers. Also, while curriculum is important, students know that when they come to a CG meeting the most important item on our to-do list will always be dealing with the challenges they are facing, the burdens they are carrying, and the victories they have won that week. In short, Covenant Groups give us a GREAT opportunity (probably the best opportunity provided by this ministry) to love each other well.
- Worship: Whether it is studying the Bible, discussing ways to put God's word into practice in our life, singing worship songs or praying together, every CG meeting will provide your student with a chance to grow closer to the Lord.
- Discipleship: Mentoring is one of the best things about CG's because of the hearts, gifts, and passion of our Covenant Group leadership. A key ingredient in the maturing process of an adolescent is the presence of 'living color examples' of maturity. Because each group has two or three screened, trained, committed & spiritually mature adult disciples of Christ leading it, our Covenant Group ministry provides multiple inter-generational mentoring relationships to every student that participates. As your student interacts with, is challenged by, and grows to trust these leaders, God will use the mentoring relationship to help your students become the man or woman He created them to be.
Want to help?
Great! Here are the ways that you can get involved:
- Become a CG Leader. Whether you are a college student interested in Covenant Groups because you want to “give back” in ways that blessed you as a teen or you are a parent with a knack for connecting to 8th graders...we want to put you to work! CG’s will require appx. 8 hours each month & you won’t BELIEVE the impact your ministry will have on our teens AND on you! Don’t believe me, take it from some of our leaders: “Covenant Group is a safe place where my girls can share what is going on in their lives and know that they are being prayed for. The Lord has used trials in my life to be able to minister to my girls in specific ways (II Cor 1: 3 & 4). AND they have been more of a blessing to me than I could ever be to them.” – Ginger Saunders “The blessing of being a covenant group leader comes from the relationships built that last beyond our time together. It is the satisfaction of knowing I am making a difference in someone's life while fulfilling the will of God in my own.” - Jay Brown “God blessed me with the opportunity to be a part of a covenant group when I was growing up here in the OCYG. That experience helped mold me into the person I am today, and it also gave me relationships that will last the rest of my life. I decided to become a CG leader to help give these kids the memories and experiences that Jon Cornelius gave me.” – Patrick Saunders
- Volunteer to host your teen’s CG in your home this year. These groups meet in the homes of individual members. Our CG Ministry couldn’t happen without parents opening their homes. Hosting would entail providing a house for the group to meet in & a plan for dinner (teens would bring $).
- Become a CG Logistics Coordinator for your teen’s group. We have found that the best way to handle communications for individual groups is to find a Logistics Coordinator to make sure every date has a host home, a plan for the meal, and to communicate all relevant information in a timely fashion to all parents & CG Leaders.Your teen’s group PROBABLY already has one of these (because it’s such a fun job)...but, if not – you’re IN!! Please contact
if you are interested in serving in any of these capacities with CG’s.